Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Miso Slaw Burger Recipe for Competition

I am done! I just finished up my recipe using the Saucy Mama products that I received. Now, I submit the recipe and wait. What am I waiting for? Well, Saucy Mama is going to pick one of the recipes submitted and send that cook to represent them in the World Food Championships 2015 this November in Kissimmee, Florida. Exciting, right?!

I decided to go with my burger idea. I am sure the competition will be fierce in this category but I loved my burger so much, I decided to just go for it! So here it is...the Miso Slaw Burger. It is both sweet and savory.

Miso Slaw Burger by Virginia Louden

Miso Slaw Burger Recipe        (serves 4)

Ingredients

Patties:
1 1/2 lbs. Lean ground beef
1/4 cup Saucy Mama Creamy Horseradish
2 Tbsps. Red onion (finely diced)
1 1/2 tsps. Garlic salt

Patty coating:
1 cup Brown sugar
3 Tbsps. Panko bread crumbs
2 tsps. Coarse sea salt

Miso Slaw:
1 cup Red cabbage (shredded)
1/2 cup Carrots (matchstick style)
1/2 cup Cucumber (matchstick style)
2 Tbsps. Red onion (sliced)
2 Tbsps. Saucy Mama Miso Sesame Orange Marinade/Dressing
2 Tbsps. Mayonnaise
2 Tbsps. Brown sugar

1/2 cup Feta (crumbled)
4 Buns (I prefer white silver dollar buns but standard hamburger buns would work)
2 Tbsps. Butter (room temperature)

Directions

1. In a small bowl, mix together the 3 patty coating ingredients and set aside. Brown sugar, Panko and Sea salt.

2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together thoroughly the 4 patty ingredients and form into 4 same sized burger patties. Beef, horseradish, garlic salt and tiny diced red onions. When forming the patties, the center of each patty should be much thinner than the edges of the patty. This will help keep the patties from balling up while cooking. Makes for a much more even sized burger.

3. Roll/coat the 4 burger patties in the brown sugar coating mix, covering evenly.

4. Grill the burger patties, turning only once. Approx. 5 minutes each side. (I prefer a grill pan so that the brown sugar coating stays with the burger.) After flipping the burger once, top each patty with 1-2 Tbsps. of the crumbled Feta cheese. Remove from heat when done and set aside.

5. Split and lightly butter the inside of each bun. In a separate pan, toast the buttered inside of each bun half until golden brown. Spread a little Saucy Mama Creamy Horseradish on the top half of each bun (the side that will touch the cheese). Set aside.

6. In a medium bowl, toss together the Miso Slaw ingredients: shredded red cabbage, matchstick carrots and cucumbers, sliced onions, Miso Sesame Orange Marinade, Mayo and brown sugar. You will want to do this step last so that the slaw stays nice and crunchy and does not get too wet. Also, any extra slaw can be eaten as a tasty side dish.

7. Assembly of the Miso Slaw Burger: On the bottom half of each bun place a heaping spoonful (or 2) of the Miso Slaw. You could also lay a small bun-sized leaf of red cabbage on the bun first to help prevent it from soaking up too much slaw dressing. I personally don't mind a little bit of a mess when I eat a burger though, especially when it's this yummy ;-)

8. Place the burger patty on top of the slaw and then cover it with the bun top. Done and Eat!


I hope you enjoy this one. I had so much fun creating it. Pretty please let me know if you make it. I would love to see pictures, too. Wish me luck and Happy Cooking!





1 comment: